Monday, December 20, 2021

Not a Good Weekend

Well, the universe seems to be conspiring to keep me in this meh mood. Thursday night was one of the worst nights of sleep for Will since the very early newborn days. We had one good stretch at the beginning of the night but then from 10:30-2, he would cry about 10 minutes after we put him down. I tried nursing him, I took his temp (no fever), Phil tried calming him. Nothing worked. Finally at 1:30 I told Phil to just go downstairs so one of us could get some sleep. I finally got him down around 2 and he slept until 4 but then the process started over again so I was up for the day at 4 and got less than 3 hours of sleep. So fun. 

When he came home from daycare the day before, he had some hives that started around lunchtime. They said he seemed fine otherwise so assumed he maybe had an allergy to something he ate at lunch, although he didn't seem to have eaten any new foods. He's been on amoxicillin since his 1y appointment to treat his double ear infection. It was his 2nd round of this medication so I thought surely he isn't allergic to it! On Friday morning I called the nurses line around 6 am to see what I should do as he had way more hives. At this point, I was assuming it was a viral infection because kids get sooo many random rashes. While I was on hold, I gave him his morning dose of meds so I really wanted to kick myself when the nurse said I better bring him in and to hold his meds. Ugh. They were able to book us an appointment at 9. I also had sent pictures of his hives to his doctor via Mychart. She responded really quickly and said it was definitely an amoxicillin allergy and to start benadryl. I did not have benadryl, but I had texted my doctor neighbor to show her the pics and she had also said to start benadryl and kindly brought us her bottle when I said we didn't have any on hand. Good neighbors are such a gift! He looked so awful so I was glad I could get him started on an antihistamine right away. Of course during the night, I did not turn on the lights in his room so I had no idea how horrible looked, although had I seen all the spots I don't know what I would have done anyways.




After giving him the benadryl, he finally fell asleep. I of course had to wake him up to go to the doctor appointment. Luckily our pediatrician grabbed the appointment we had made so she could personally see him and check his ears. They were clear so we didn't need another antibiotics thankfully!

He napped well on Friday which was a blessing as I badly needed more sleep. I upped his dose of benadryl to the dose recommended by his doctor and it really zonked him out. I was still hopeful that we could have our babysitter come on Saturday night. But then he started to get a fever on Saturday and Phil noticed that his joints were warm and swelling. So I canceled the babysitter and called the nurses line again. The nurse went over all his symptoms and suggested I bring him into urgent care. We saw a really nice doctor there - she said that his body was still reacting to the drug allergy and to just keep giving benadryl until his symptoms improved. 

I had said we could just not go to the party, but Phil said I really deserved a break so he offered to stay home with the boys so I could go across the street to the party. The couple hosting said to send him over while I did bedtime, so he got about an hour of merriment in, then we swapped places. I had a really great time at the party! I haven't socialized in so long so it was fun to hang out with my neighbor and meet their friends! And it was a safe gathering as everyone was vaccinated. I ended up staying way too late - Phil called at midnight to ask me to come home as Will had been crying since 10:30 and he needed help. I feel bad that he didn't call me earlier but I've dealt with lots of long spells of crying so I guess I shouldn't feel too guilty. Will was running a fever again and just miserable but after motrin and nursing, he fell back asleep but was up one other time, in addition to Paul being up crying for me. Le sigh. 

Will was better during the day on Sunday and his rash was starting to clear/lighten. Here's a side by side comparison of Friday morning (left photo) and Sunday night (right photo). 


So the hives from Friday have kind of cleared and he has more new ones I guess? Phil commented on how the Sunday photo is basically a negative of the Friday photo. Our poor baby. 

Last night was a repeat of Saturday night with a fever during the night and several wake-ups. But at least with me there I could nurse and settle him much quicker. So I emailed his doctor again this morning to find out if this is related to the allergic reaction or another potential ear infection. She responded quickly and said he appears to be having a serum reaction where his body responds more strongly than average to the allergy, hence the fever and swollen/warm joints. Lucky us. He might end up going on steroids to get his body to calm down. We'll see. So he's home with us today since you can't have a fever in the last 24 hours to go to school. Getting work done with a 1yo is challenging. Phil and I have been trading on and off, and Will has earned the nickname Mr. Mischief! 

So here is hoping we turn the corner soon, although his doctor said this immune reaction will outlast the rash, so we are probably in for more tough nights. 

Oof, long post! So here is my PSA - just because you've had a med before with no issues, you can still be allergic. I so wish I hadn't given the 2 doses of amoxicillin after the initial hives. Or I wish I had texted my mom because it turns out a ridiculous number of family members are allergic to the penicillin family! The urgent care doctor told me I did not make his reaction worse by giving him more amoxicillin but I feel like she was saying that to make me feel better? Who knows. But learn from me - don't give your child or yourself anymore antibiotics after you see hives!!

How was your weekend? I hope it was a thousand times more enjoyable that mine!

8 comments:

katielookingforward said...

Ugh, what a bummer of a weekend! I hope everything gets cleared up in time for you guys to have some Christmas cheer.

Elisabeth said...

Oh no! I saw one of your comments on SHU's blog and had a general sense of how awful your weekend was but this is next level.

I am so, so sorry. Poor Will, poor Phil, poor you - what a tough, tough season. You just can't seem to catch a break. It really does make me almost nauseous because I can remember this feeling (we had basically a year non-stop of sickness - 3 weeks of pneumonia for Abby, which came after basically months of chronic croup, Levi had RSV and issues feeding for almost a year. Constant ear infections or so other reason to be cycling through the doctor). I know I'm a broken record, but in our experience (which I think is pretty typical), this tends to get a lot better.

I also found it a lot harder with #2 because when Abby was an only child she didn't get sick her ENTIRE first year (she wasn't in childcare, either, so I know that impacted things, but I feel like Levi got everything because Abby was just a germ factory from preschool).

I really hope things calm down for you all soon; I can't imagine trying to juggle work and any semblance of normal life with all of the appointments and being so sleep-deprived.

If you lived close I'd make you a hot cup of tea, heat up some of my beloved Magic Bags, give you a giant hug and send you off to nap. Sending all those things in spirit at least and really, really hoping the whole family gets some much needed rest over the Christmas break.

Grateful Kae said...

Oh boy!!! I can feel your pain through your post. I was thinking, ohhhh man that sounds rough. That would be a hard thing for ANYONE to deal with, much less a little guy! :( Don't beat yourself up over giving up additional doses...you didn't know! It's okay, he'll be okay...you'll get through it. And, now you know. ;) I think it's definitely scary anytime allergies are involved, but those penicillin allergies really are very common! So he's in good company. Ha. I hope he turns the corner here soon and that you can all get a bunch of rest now before Christmas! Hopefully he'll have all this behind him and will be back to happy go lucky for the holidays.

I'm SO glad you got to go to that party! And that's awesome that you stayed til midnight! loL! You so deserved that. And major gold star to Phil for being so supportive. I feel like some women I know have husbands who would NOT be okay with that/ would insist the mom stay home to care for the sick kiddo (eye roll). So that's awesome (and as it should be!) that he encouraged you to get out and enjoy. Great team work :)

Jeanie said...

It sounds like a terrible weekend. Rashes and hives are the worst (been there, done that) and I feel for him -- and for you. Glad things seem to be on the mend but wow. I'm glad you could get out and especially feel safe. Hope the week is much better.

Stephany said...

Oh my goodness, what a rough weekend for your entire family! Those hives do not look fun at all, and I had no idea that you could have an allergic reaction to a medication even though you've taken it before/were taking it with no issue! That's good to know. I hope Will is on the mend and that this is the last of the crazy health issues in your family for a good long while (I feel like I keep saying that... am *I* jinxing you guys???)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Oh no - the spots! You've been through a lot in the past while :-( I really hope 2022 starts off much healthier and less meh for you!

Poor little guy.

I hope things improve soon and you are able to have a wonderful Christmas!

San said...

Oh man, I am so sorry. Poor little guy looks miserable. I hope the worst is over.

Anne said...

Oh, what a dreadful weekend. Poor Will, poor you, and poor Phil and Paul, too, for good measure. Allergic reactions are very scary. I did want to make one small suggestion, which would be to ask your pediatrician if it would be a good idea for you to have an EpiPen at home in addition to Benadryl, just in case. I know they're expensive, and they expire, but it might be something they'd want you to have. Take care, and I hope hope hope that you all got some sleep.