Friday, June 9, 2023

5 Things Friday

Happy Friday! Here are 5 things on my mind this week.

1. I had a really great trip to Chicago. I've been there every other month since last October but this was the first time I actually had time to walk the floor and talk to sales people. On past trips, my schedule has been so incredibly packed that I didn't have much time to talk to people - which is too bad as the idea is to see people in the Chicago office when I am there. I also fit in a lunch with a url turned irl friend that lives in Chicago. We met up at a cafe along the river when I landed on Monday. I hadn't seen her since my wedding in 2017. We've Facetimed and caught up on Zoom but there's nothing like seeing someone in person! Lastly, I got a 4 mile river/lakefront run in on Tuesday morning! 

The hazy morning sky. I was told by locals that it wasn't related to wildfire smoke but I feel like it has to be!

2. Now for the bad news about my trip - Paul got a stomach bug while I was away. He came down with it on Tuesday afternoon. I am definitely more suited for caring for sick kids, I think because I learned from the best. My mom was a nurse and is the ultimate caretaker. I had meetings that went until mid-afternoon on Wednesday so I couldn't fly home early. He was doing much better by the time I got home around 7:30 on Wednesday night but wow did I feel guilty that I was away. Here's hoping Phil and Will stay healthy. (Phil did great but it's hard enough to solo parent when everyone is healthy.)

3. In other news, I am in the process of hiring a direct report! This is my first time hiring someone. It is interesting to be on the other side of the selection/interview process. I'm working with an in-house recruiter which helps. We are so understaffed and I have so much on my plate right now so I am glad we are growing our team. I never aspired to be a "people manager" - I have always wanted to be an individual contributor - but I think having one direct report will be nice. 

4. After dinner last night, we went to a stretch of the creek that we used to go to a lot 2 summers ago. It was too depressingly dry and shallow to come here last summer. The boys love throwing rocks! Hopefully our creek doesn’t dry out this summer.


5. We have a fairly quiet weekend on deck. Paul has a park/wading pool birthday party on Saturday afternoon, I think we will go to the zoo on Sunday morning, and Phil and Paul will go to my MIL's on Sunday afternoon. The weather forecast looks great - mostly sunny with highs in the 70s! So I envision lots of time outdoors! We might get some rain on Saturday but we'd welcome that - we've barely had any rain in the last couple of months.

How was your week? Have you ever hired someone and/or had a direct report?

13 comments:

coco said...

hiring is not as easy as one think. I've been interviewing for a RA and none is perfect. It could be frustrating to not find any perfect candidates when knowing many good people are out there but we just know them.
hope your recruitment is successful.

Nicole said...

Wow, this is all so great, Lisa! I mean, except for the stomach bug. That's the worst. I remember when my kids were old enough to make it to the toilet before barfing, what a great day that was. Honestly, that sounds sarcastic but it really isn't.
Glad your trip went well and you could catch up with your friend! There's nothing like an IRL catch-up!
Good luck with the hiring process.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

It looks like the good news is that by the time you went to the creek, Paul was doing better, because it appears that he was throwing rocks like a champ! Luckily they bounce back fairly fast.

Oh the hiring process! Fun times! G and I must have interviewed at least 100 people (if not more) over the last 6 years (even during the pandemic), and the first one was definitely a little nerve-wracking (I practiced beforehand) but by number 100 it was old hat. I compare it kind of to a first date; once you have had a certain number, they are kind of rote. Coco is right though; there were times when we were trying to hire one person and we had 10 or 12 or 15 interviews and sometimes nobody felt just right. Of course, we were pretty strict on what we wanted, especially after hiring a couple in the beginning that were bad picks. I know you will be good at it though because I think two of the main things are (1) know what you want (2) don't be afraid to ask for it / ask hard questions. I feel it is a little better to grill someone at the beginning and maybe choose no than to choose yes because you did not ask the hard questions.

The other thing that was important to us, which may be different for you, was personality. Rather than worrying if they went to Harvard or SF State, we try to find out if they (1) will jive with our model/methods and (2) will be able to learn. I also found that people with a chip on their shoulder, something to prove, or cockiness were a definite no for me (after hiring a few of them and really, REALLY struggling). As long as they have a good work ethic and a good attitude, a lot of the needed skills can be learned.

Elisabeth said...

I'm glad Paul is feeling better; stomach bugs are the worst and I'm sure you felt helpless in Chicago. I have yet to miss a stomach bug, but my husband misses plenty and I don't think he ever feels guilty - haha.

Love the fun creek pictures. Seems like a perfect place to explore.

Grateful Kae said...

Oh, bummer about Paul getting sick!! YUCK that's the worst. Poor Phil!! On the (only) bright side, at least stomach bugs are usually pretty short lived, so that helps. I'm glad you had a nice time in Chicago at least! And you can check this off as 1 less child-illness that you had to deal with over the years, lol!

Congrats on the new steps at work to having a direct report! I do not have any direct reports and I think I would feel nervous/apprehensive at first moving into that arena, too! Just one sounds like a nice way to get your feet wet and ease into that- maybe you'll find you enjoy people managing more than you thought! And, it will boost your resume/skills in a different way, too, which can't hurt. Never know when being able to say "I have experience as a manager" can come in handy. ;)

Enjoy the weekend + weather! It is SO DRY here- too dry! But not complaining about the sunshine.

Stephany said...

Oh no, poor Paul! That had to have been so hard to know he was feeling so punky when you were far away from home. :(

That's exciting news about hiring a direct report! I have enjoyed being a people manager so much more than I thought, and I hope the same is true for you. Good luck on the search!

Sarah said...

Stomach bugs are terrible for all-- I hope the rest of the house is spared. But I would be thrilled to miss one LOL

Jenny said...

Sunny and in the 70s sounds amazing (I'm envious!) I hope you get lots of outside time this weekend. And I love that creek- the boys must love it too.
That is a bummer about Paul getting sick- and poor Phil. I'm sure everyone was happy to have you home again! Other than that the trip to Chicago sounds great. I'm glad you got a run in!

Mom of Children said...

Ohh the stomach bug... The worst. I'm sure your husband did just fine- men need lessons like that. I hope Paul feels better this week. Never had to hire anyone except a cleaner (starting in September when teaching starts back up). I feel incredibly guilty about hiring someone to clean our house but I need to get over that.

Jeanie said...

What a fun post. I'm glad Chicago went well but too bad about Paul. Happy you will get a direct report. I hated being a supervisor more than anything but if you have a good person, it's a great blessing.

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope no one else got the stomach bug!!! I’m so glad you had a great trip to Chicago!!! I love when we can meet up in person!!! We’ve had so much rain here and I’m honestly thankful. Knowing what’s happening with the Colorado river I just keep praying for the rain!!!
Lori

San said...

So glad you had a great trip to Chicago. I know these trips are stressful but at least worthwhile when you come back and feel like it's been a good trip. I am glad you got to catch up with a friend too. Bonus! :)

So sorry to hear that Paul had a stomach bug. I can imagine that you felt bad that Phil had to deal with it by himself.)

That's exciting that you'll be hiring someone to work for you. I do not envy the supervisory role that you'l have but I am sure it's ok, if you're only working with one person underneath you.

Anne said...

At first, I read this as PHIL getting a stomach bug. I'm glad he was not down for the count along with Paul. Poor Paul. :( And, hopefully no one else got sick.

I am so glad you had a bit of a time cushion in your trip this time. The last few trips have seemed like they're just one meeting after another after another after another...

I love how you prioritize outside time with your kids - and that you let them do kid things like throw rocks in the creek. :)