Friday, February 6, 2009

Turning 28

Happy Friday, everyone! The weatherman is saying it might hit 40F today - woot, woot! That's darn right balmy according to my standards!

So today is my birthday. I spent the evenings of my last 2 birthdays sitting in a Finance class of some sort so I can't tell you how excited I am to NOT have class on my birthday this year. And it's on a Friday! I'm wearing my favorite color (pink) and will be meeting up with 6 girlfriends to see "He's Just Not That Into You" which opens today. How apropos that it opens on my birthday, huh? ;) Seriously, if you are single and reading this, you should probably read that book. Yes, some of the advice in the book is a bit obvious to most girls, but it's still worth reading. I can't wait to see the movie tonight!

If I had to sum up the past year of my life, I'd have to borrow a quote from Charles Dickens: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." Aside from the 3 weeks in France, I don't know that I'd want to go back and live much of it over again, but I have learned a lot about myself, and that knowledge, well, it's priceless. I would try to find the words to explain what I've learned this year, but this poem does such a good job:

After awhile you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
And company doesn't mean security
And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes open
With the grace of a woman not the grief of a child
And you learn to build all your roads on today
Because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans
And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight
After awhile you learn
The even sunshine burns if you get too much
So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul
Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers
And you learn you really can endure
That you are really strong
And you really do have worth
And you learn and learn
With every goodbye you learn.
- Veronica A. Shofstall

2 comments:

aimee said...

happy birthday! i hope you have a great day and a great weekend!!!

Amber said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Sounds like you have a fabulous evening planned. I'm planning on seeing that movie on Saturday! Enjoy your day, you deserve to treat yourself!!