Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sunday Night Dinners: Chicken with Mushrooms and White Wine

Happy Wednesday! I have another recipe to share with you. This one was a HIT. Probably one of the best pasta dishes I have ever made. I rarely eat pasta anymore - the gluten free stuff just isn't the same as regular pasta. I was hoping to make quinoa pasta, but couldn't find any! I went to 3 different grocery stores and struck out at all 3, so I went with a rice/potato starch pasta. Which was decent. It's good when it's covered in sauce - not something I'd eat solo, though.

First off, you should probably don a cute apron. I love aprons! My friend Heidi collects them - if I had more room in my kitchen, I would totally collect them, too, but I have limited myself to only 2 aprons. This William Sonoma one is my favorite!


Since I am always cooking alone, I am a big fan of the 'mise en place' approach to cooking - which translates to "putting in place". I have learned that having everything chopped ahead of time reduces the chance of me having a panic attack while cooking!


Now, for the recipe. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes.


Transfer to a plate.

Add another teaspoon of oil and the mushrooms to the skillet.


Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are browned, about 5 minutes. When I was browning the mushrooms, I couldn't help but think of that scene from Julie and Julia where Julie Powell exclaims - 'don't crowd the mushrooms!'

Stir in the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and herbes de Provence. Cook until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes.



Sprinkle with the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute longer.

Add the broth and wine and bring to a boil.

Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet.


Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.

Sprinkle with the parsley, if using. Serve with the pasta.

I paired my pasta with a tossed salad.


Like I said, it was delicious! The recipe yields 4 generous portions. Please note - I NEVER eat that huge of a portion but I figured I would easily burn it off on Sunday morning with my 10 mile run!

I had leftovers when I got home from my run on Sunday and it was just as good the second time around. I will definitely be making this one again.

I'm slowly, but surely gaining confidence in the kitchen. I'm hoping to really jump up the learning curve after a little informal cooking class with my aunt and mom later this month. They are both amazing cooks, so I intend to learn as much as I can from them!

Here are the ingredients to the recipe:

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
salt & pepper to taste
2 t. olive oil
4 oz. mushrooms, halved
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. herbes de Provence
1 T. all-purpose flour (I used a GF blend of flours)
1 c. chicken broth
3/4 c. dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
4 cups hot cooked pasta

Serving = 1 chicken breast, 2/3 c. sauce, 1 c. pasta

15 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh man that looks delicious!

Nicole said...

Looks delicious!
I also have a cute apron I wear in the kitchen. My mom made it for me after I inspired her with the ones listed on Anthropologie.

Abby said...

Looks delicious! I am going to try it. I never ever make any type of pasta sauce but variations of red's. So I am going to have to be bold, venture, and try this one!

I also love aprons. Since my bridal shower; I have started to accumulate a nice collection! :)

And in all honesty--I wear the one you got me the most! I love it because it just goes on my waist, and it's so cute!

JenBA said...

Sounds delish! We'll be trying that thos Sunday!!

Little Fish said...

Looks yummy! Good job.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

That looks really good! My hub might even eat that minus the mushrooms!! ;)

Amber said...

That looks AWESOME! I am absolutely going to be trying this recipe! Yum, yum, yum!!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Impressed Miss Lisa! Yep I busted out my Halloween apron for this month!

Mandy said...

I love cooking and just in the past year or so have discovered the joys of cooking. I love http://homemakershabitat.com/ and http://www.ingoodtasteblog.net/ Both blogs have great recipes.

Lisa-Marie said...

We have all of the stuff for this in the flat! Tonight, we are having meatballs, so tomorrow, we shall have this! Hurrah!

Oh, and, your crockery is lovely!

Anais said...

OMG I am SOOO going to make this!! it looks delicious!

And you got me so excited about aprons... I just ordered 2 online, and I'll put pics up on the blog when I get them... They are TO DIE FOR! I think I'll just wear them all the time :P

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Dinner looks fabulous! I too LOVE aprons. I'm searching for the PERFECT old fashion apron. Have found some really cute ones on etsy.

Shoshanah said...

That chicken does look really good!

Erika K said...

This is what my mom used to call coq a van, until I realized it's usually made with red wine. But I love the white wine and chicken combo. I haven't made it in a long time, so I'm glad to have found a recipe I can bookmark.

And I really need to get a more awesome apron. Mine are far too utilitarian and not cute!

Erika K

Cuisinart 12 cup food processor

Linda said...

Oooh! Yum :) Thank you for sharing.