Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Book Worms Recommend: The Christmas Edition

Greetings and Happy Tuesday!  This fall, my blogging-turned-real-life-best-friend Nora and I decided to do a regular 'blog swap' and recommend books we both love!  Our first posts can be found here and here.  This month we decided to recommend holiday books we both love!  Without further ado, here's Nora!!

{source}


Hi everyone! It’s Nora from Walking with Nora and I’m thrilled because it’s officially December which means I can unabashedly share my love for all things Christmas. Lisa and I are kindred spirits in many ways, loving both books and cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies so today I’m here to share a few of my favorite Christmas book recommendations, some literary works of art, others that are pure fluff but still fun to curl up with this time of year! 

A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens. There is no way that I could leave this book off my Christmas book list. As long as I can remember my family and I would gather around the fireplace or on the couch every night starting on December 1st to read this book. Once my brother and I were old enough, we took turns reading the book with my parents. The story of Scrooge is a tradition in our family; reminds us to be thankful, be honorable, and help those around us and along the way we’ve learned quite a bit about British culture and Dickens writing. (Yes, we purchased an annotated version one year that we read. It was very enlightening!) 

The Perfect Love Song: A Holiday Story, by Patti Callahan Henry. I picked this book up last holiday season on a whim at the library and I devoured it. It’s a love story about a young couple that fight differences and overcome their personal stubbornness as they explore their love for one another. It’s one part cheesy, one part romantic, one part holiday spirit and one part emotional. I totally cried at the end of this book. If you are looking for a happy, light, yet intelligent read, give this one a try! 

On Strike for Christmas, by Sheila Roberts. This has been made into a movie, likely for the Hallmark channel (I hope I can catch it). This book is perfect for anyone feeling a little less for wear during the Christmas season. It follows a group of women who all keep Christmas for their families: the decorating, the cooking, the parties, and their men who do very little to help them. The women decide to leave the Christmas and holiday work to their husbands for the seasons; there are lessons learned in their relationships, about themselves, and about their friendships. I laughed out loud throughout the book and am glad I had the opportunity to read it. 

The Wednesday Letters & The Wedding Letters, by Jason Wright. These books aren’t exactly holiday books but something about reading them makes me appreciate my family, my friends, my life, and all the bounty I’m fortunate to have. The writing is brilliant, the characters are addictive, and the books will make you want to go hug whoever you love in your life, friends and family alike. 

The Polar Express, by Chris Van Allsburg. I know this is a book for kids (technically) but I grew up on this book too. Even as an adult I long to read the book, to look at the illustrations, to look behind my Christmas tree and find an anonymous present. I am tempted to purchase this book for my personal collection (and so Belle and Jolie can be exposed to it) because no matter how old I am, I still believe in the Miracle of Christmas. 

Do you have any favorite Christmas/holiday books that I should try to read before the end of the year? What’s your favorite Christmas/holiday book? 

14 comments:

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I do not read very many Christmas books, but this list was wonderful! I feel like I should add all of these to my list of books to read someday, thanks for sharing! What a great blog swap!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I love that you have Polar Express- great book :) I also really want to read the wedding letters! I can't find it at my library h is so weird since I feel like we usually have everything!

Abby said...

This is too funny. I went to the library yesterday in search of a Christmas book to read during the season. Of course most of the good ones were picked over. I ended up getting "The Christmas List" by Richard Paul Evans (the guy who wrote "The Christmas Box" -- he has become one of my favorite authors.

My favorite Christmas book that I've read so far is "The Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. I just love the theme of the story of giving people a second chance for changing their lives. Great classic.

Jess said...

My favourite Christmas book is Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb (actually, come to think of it, you blogged about that book last year, didn't you?) It's just so different from his other stuff! So funny!

I haven't read a lot of Christmas books though, so it may be time to start...it is the season for it, after all!

Nora said...

I love that we do this! So much fun =) And I already have a book that you recommended which I started last night and I may have to check out the Wally Lamb book too!

missris said...

A Christmas Carol is probably my favorite, but The Polar Express is a close second. When I was little I remember that book seemed so magical!

Marlys said...

I, too, love the Polar Bear Express! It, along with The Christmas Carol, are such great classics! I downloaded a book called "Dakota Christmas" on my kindle but haven't read it yet. It sounds interesting, though!

Amber said...

I haven't read any of Nora's recommendations either! Jeesh, I really need to get on some holiday book reading! I've just never really thought to read holiday-themed books!

Becky said...

On Strike for Christmas sounds awesome!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Oh I love it when you posts about books! I really want to check out Wednesday Letters and Wedding letters. I also love reading Christmas books during this time of the year!

Jeanie said...

Thanks for mentioning On Strike for Christmas. The movie (Hallmark or Lifetime, it was on a week or two ago) doesn't live up to the book, but it's OK. The book is indeed laugh-out-loud funny and really makes a great point!

I have two favorites -- both about the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree (both fiction, both small). "The Christmas Tree" by Julie Salamon and "A Perfectly Irregular Christmas Tree" by Abbie Zabar.

Leslie H. said...

I love finding book recommendations. I don' think I have read any of these either!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I haven't read a lot of holiday/Christmas stories for adults, only kids.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I love Polar Express! We used to read that, even before the movie came out, which is also very cute!

I love the Christmas Carol and maybe this is blasphemy, but I pretty much like EVERY movie rendition that has come out (especially the Muppets version).

I will add the others to my To Read List!