Saturday, March 21, 2009

I wish I had a green thumb....

A month ago today, my Grandpa passed away. It's kind of hard to believe it's already been a month. The last month has been so busy between work and school - it's probably good that I have kept so busy.

My grandpa got so many plants & floral arrangements at the wedding, each of us grandkids got to take a plant home. Um, I am terrible at keeping things alive. Seriously. I got one of those bamboo plants when I was in college as a gift. And it died. I don't know if I under-watered it or over-watered it? No clue. It turned brown & died.


So when my aunt encouraged me to pick out a plant, I tried to explain that giving me a plant was not a good idea. She persisted and said that I could keep it alive. Oh, she's a florist, by the way. So basically a plant goddess... I should take a class on the proper care and feeding of a plant someday or something.


So it's been a month, and I was pretty proud of myself since it was still alive. Then I came home from work yesterday, and the plant looked like this...


If you can't tell, it's extremely droopy. It's basically the plant equivalent of the sad Christmas tree on the Charlie Brown Christmas Special.

It's perking up now that I watered it again... but now I am worried I am going to over water it... Word has it, I can get some sort of contraption that you fill with water & stick in the dirt, and it will release water when the plant needs it?

I clearly need to look into this... I will feel incredibly guilty if I kill this plant... I am considering sending it home with my Mom at Easter - she's great with plants, so I know she will keep it alive...

3 comments:

Amber said...

Lol, I don't have a green thumb either!

I've never had plants so I don't really think about watering them and last spring when I house sat for my mom for 2 weeks I didn't water any of her plants because I just didn't think too. A couple of them died, she wasn't too pleased.. lol.

BetsE said...

Yes, Lisa - get an Aqua Globe...it will work wonders...you can get them at Walmart, Target, etc. And it's ok that it droops, it's the plants way of telling you it needs water. Those are easy plants to take care of, if I can, you can! :) Good Luck!

Jess said...

I wish I could help you, but I don't have a green thumb at all either! The one and only plant I have in my place is a cactus because they are so easy to look after. You barely ever have to water them. Little work required - it's a good thing!

Sorry that wasn't helpful at all, but good luck :)