Friday, October 20, 2023

Five Things Friday

We are really limping to the finish line of the week in our house. Will was home 4 days this week (as I type this, I am hopeful he’s back at daycare on Friday) and then Paul was struck with a high fever last night. Here’s 5 things on my mind today. 

1. I’m glad I took Taco to the doctor on Monday. He had a 103 fever but he hadn’t even been sick for 24 hours so it was a little bit aggressive to take him in so fast. But his in-clinic strep test case back positive. And then the next day, his influenza A test came back positive. Strep AND influenza A. Can you believe it? No wonder he was so miserable. He is usually a champ at taking meds but it is a 2-person job to be get him to take the antibiotics for strep throat. It must taste awful. I so wish he could have had the penicillin shot but he’s terribly allergic to that drug. I went to CVS minute clinic on Tuesday afternoon to make sure I didn’t have strep or influenza A. Both were negative thank goodness. It was a very slick process - the flu and strep tests took 6 minutes!! So that is where I am taking Paul today. 


Taco got star treatment at the doctor - a pedialyte popsicle!

2. Our cat is back for a visit! Longtime readers know we got a cat in 2015. She went to stay with my MIL as her ‘emotional support animal’ during the pandemic. And we’ve since come to accept that she is happier there. We got her before we had kids and she is really NOT into kids. She’s back for a week or two as she had a vet appointment this week. She’s happy to be in Phil’s company and puts up with our kids. They so badly want to be friends with her but the feeling is not mutual. She did briefly sit on my lap when taco was sitting next to me which thrilled him! But it was short lived. 

Proof that she got close to Taco

Meet Oscar - we were told she was a boy when we got her, hence the male name. Soon after we found out she was a female!

3. Paul had his first karate class and got his white belt at the end of class. He was so excited!


4. I listened to a very inspiring episode of the ‘People I (Mostly) Admire’ podcast. The host, Steve Levitt, interviewed a Yale law school grad that spent 8 years in prison when he was a teen/in his early 20s. Now he runs a non-profit called Freedom Reads whose mission is to put books in prisons. I know lots of you are avid readers so I highly recommend checking the episode out!

5. We are supposed to have our first Halloween event of the season this weekend. Paul and I were planning to go to a pumpkin event at the zoo. We went last year and it was AMAZING! But now those plans are very up in the air with his fever. :( 

How are you doing? I hope you’ve had a better week than us! 

No comments: