Monday, October 2, 2023

Hot hot hot

I should be saying something about being grateful for a world with Octobers a la Anne of Green Gables, but let me tell you - it is not October-like right now. It was a HOT weekend with temps in the 80s and high humidity. So hot and humid that the Twin Cities marathon was canceled on Sunday morning due to dangerous weather conditions! 

I’m trying not to complain but I am kind of done with hot weather (I know this is not hot for southerners, but it is abnormally hot for us at this time of year!). But it looks like things will normalize later this week and we’ll be back to highs in the 50-60s. Bring it on. 

- On Friday Paul had a playdate at a park with a daycare friend he hadn’t seen in over 3 months. When he saw him, he ran to him and gave him the biggest hug. It was so cute! I failed to take any pics as I was busy catching up with the mom. 

- I ran on Saturday morning. It felt like an August morning with 80% humidity. Blech. The boys and I changed things up and got donuts for them and a latte from Starbucks for me instead of the library. This was a mistake because donuts before gymnastics resulted in sugar-fueled squirrelly behavior. Lesson learned! 

- Phil went to help his friends who live on a lake take their dock and lifts out and brought Paul along. So I was on my own with Taco. We went to a park after nap and then got some ice cream before swinging by a college friend’s new house in the neighborhood!


So sweaty. Ice cream was necessary.

- We hit up a shaded park on Sunday morning and then I got out our pile of Halloween/Fall books after lunch! 

Happily reading/looking at books. The silence was gold.

Reading our favorite, Pumpkin Soup, with daddy!

- Swimming lessons go better every week. I had major doubts that the teacher could overcome Paul’s intense fear of the water. But she is a miracle worker and these lessons are worth every penny!



- We went to my retired colleauge’s house after nap/quiet time. It was so good to catch up with him and his wife. Their kids are juniors in high school and college so the young kid age is novel for them. The boys got lots of attention! It’s good to be around people that find the stages of our kids novel and adorable. That’s, um, not the general vibe around our house. 

How was your weekend? Was it unseasonably hot like it was here?

12 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Send me some heat! It was cold here and I was constantly heating up Magic Bags since I refused to turn on the heat. Brrr. I know winter is coming but I want to refuse to believe it.

It sounds like such a fantastic weekend, Lisa. I'm so glad! Ice cream! A successful swimming lesson! Falls books! Playdates.

And yes, it is lovely to visit people who are not in the same stage of life. They have a different level of energy and find all the little quirks of toddlerhood extra adorable. I really do think it takes a village to raise kids, and part of that is having people that can be removed from the day to day grind and remind us of all the joys of each stage (which can be difficult to see when we're mired in the grind of day-to-day life + exhaustion). Your kids are adorable, you're doing a great job, and I'm so happy there were many bright moments (and ice cream!) this weekend <3

Sarah said...

SO HOT HERE TOO. We had family pictures and planned to wear fall clothes and blergh. Minnie was so sweaty and angry (always perfect for family pics **eye roll**)

Paul looks so happy in the water!!! Yay!!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Wow, it was so hot that they canceled the marathon! That is serious! That is a little crazy, since I know that Boston was run in some brutally hot April weather in the past, but they must have felt strongly about it. It was great here; it was supposed to rain on Saturday morning but it was barely a drizzle and then the sun came out and it was probably in the 70s. Perfect fall weather in the Bay Area.

That is so great that Paul is finally starting to take to the water; I know this is something that you feel is neccessary, given you guys are lake people! I don't remember learning how to swim but I am pretty sure I loved it right away, and thank goodness, because we spent A LOT of time at the river! Just like you, it was basically mandatory!

I am a big fan of ice cream and donuts, especially for breakfast, but definitely think that kiddos get a bit crazy sometimes if they have too much. K's daughter L was home alone once and ate ALL of the Twix they had been given for Halloween...and was basically a basketcase afterward, and then a zombie after that when she came down from the high!

Nicole said...

Paul looks so happy in the pool! Hooray!
I can't believe they cancelled the marathon. That must have been some brutally hot weather! It's just seasonal around here, which is still pretty lovely. Next week we are going to Alberta for a couple of days and I'm a bit worried it's going to snow. We'll see, I guess!

Jenny said...

That is such a bummer about the marathon- I feel so bad for the runners! Hopefully they can all find another marathon in the area to shift to.
Sounds like it was a great weekend- in spite of the heat. I love the fall book reading time- I miss those days.
i hope your weather cools down SOON.

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

Your last sentence made me giggle.

It was so hot the marathon was cancelled?!? Omg! That's too hot! It was nice and toasty here this weekend, too, but not really humid so it was quite pleasant. And it still gets pretty chilly at night.

I am so delighted to hear that the swimming lessons are going so well! What a relief for all of you!!! Way to go, Paul, and hooray for great teachers!

NGS said...

Unseasonably hot and I'm still a little grumpy about it. We had to turn on the AC! We hadn't turned it on in WEEKS!

Oh, I'm so glad swimming lessons are working out! Go Paul!

Charbelle said...

I mean it's in the 80's here still but this is our normal for this time of year. You know I love it. I ran at lunchtime Sunday which I can't do during July and August. That is not to say I was not feeling the heat by the end. HOWEVER! I ran 4 miles and mile 3 was a 9:33 and I haven't seen that number since 2020 or before so I was THRILLED!!! Little kids and sugar, ah the joys! I love that the swim teacher is doing so well with Paul!!! What a huge blessing! LOL I love the ages of your kiddos but I also get to hand those ages back at the end. I'll be honest, 13 is actually pretty enjoyable. We have moments but overall I like my kid.

Stephany said...

The only thing I think about when I hear how hot it is in the Midwest in October is CLIMATE CHANGE. I'm sorry you're still seeing such hot temps - and that they cancelled the marathon because of it. Ugh! What a bummer for all those runners.

It's been kinda nice in FL - 70s in the morning and DRY. Not feeling like I'm being hit in the face with sauna-like heat whenever I step outside has been so very nice. Highs are in the upper 80s, but that's a cooldown compared to the summer, haha.

"It’s good to be around people that find the stages of our kids novel and adorable. That’s, um, not the general vibe around our house." <-- This made me chuckle!

coco said...

i'm in chicago and it was hotter than Jakarta! how crazy! fortunately, it is projected to cool down for the weekend, otherwise I'll ask for a refund... this is not the race I signed up for.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! It was raining in Jersey on Saturday and Sunday was delightful- 80s, sunny yet breezy. I do hope it cools down , I am honestly surprised that it’s so hot. But, like Stephany said above- climate change!
Daria

Jeanie said...

I've enjoyed our hot weather but it wasn't humid and probably not as hot. Now it's dropping quickly and I suspect I'll be pretty nippy up here at the lake in another couple of days. It sounds like a really good weekend. I'm so glad the swimming lessons are going well. What a relief. I can't believe we are now well into October.