Monday, October 23, 2023

Weekend Happenings + The Illness Train

The weekend got off to a rough start but Paul rallied quickly thanks to the wonder that is antibiotics. Here are the high/lowlights. 

- Friday was rough. Paul tested positive for strep and influenza A at CVS minute clinic. But they could only prescribe oral meds and Paul will not take oral meds… Luckily I was able to snag an afternoon clinic appointment so he could get a penicillin shot. Of course by that time of day, clinics are often not running on time. So we waited for the provider to review the results/look him over and then we waited for the nurse to give him the shot and then we had to wait for 20 minutes after the shot. So all told, we were gone for 3.5 hours between the CVS and clinic appointments. But by Saturday morning he was feeling great! It’s amazing how fast a penicillin shot takes effect! 

- I was in dire need of some fresh air so I took Taco for a stroller walk after dinner on Friday. The weather was so nice and the fall views were gorgeous! 


So relieved our boy is bright-eyed and happy again! And he smiled for a photo for a change!

- I cut my run short and only ran 3 miles on Saturday since I was feeling tired and worn out. The views on my run were stunning. Pictures don’t do it justice!


- I went through the 2nd half of the 6 bags of hand-me-downs from a friend while the boys watched a show. Here’s how it started…


And here’s how it ended. The folded pile in the back went to another family. The sorted folded piles are things we will keep. We have benefited from so many hand-me-downs over the years! We’ve tried to pay it forward and pass along to others! 

- Paul had been fever free for over 24 hours and was feeling great so we were able to go to the pumpkin event at the zoo. I only felt comfortable doing this since it was an outdoor event. The carvings were amazing! This year the theme was the months of the year with carvings featuring animals and events of the year. There are 5,000 carved pumpkins!


One of the September pumpkins. The Viking should be crying because of how awful our season has been.

One of the October pumpkins

- Phil got taken down by the illnesses in our house on Saturday night, so instead of a run I took Taco on a LONG stroller walk on Sunday morning. Phil tested positive for influenza A so there was lots of solo parenting on Sunday since he felt like absolute crap. 

Beautiful fall view!

More leaf throwing at the creek

- We went to a park for 1.5 hours after nap since it was gorgeous - maybe the last really really nice weekend day? Highs are in the 30s next weekend.

They loved these swings that faced each other!

The flu has taken 3/4 of our house down, although the boys seemed less bothered by it since they felt great once they got antibiotics for strep. Can I avoid the illness train? I am SO GLAD I got my flu vaccine 2+ weeks ago. I only got it so early because I wanted the Covid booster so figured I would get them both. If you haven’t gotten your flu vaccine, I highly recommend getting it! Fingers crossed that it continues to protect me from the flu!! I’ve never actually had influenza and want to keep that record intact. 

How was your weekend? Have you gotten your flu shot?


No comments: