Monday, October 16, 2023

Maniac drivers + airport stress + weekend things

Well I did not make it to Ann Patchett’s bookstore on Friday. I barely made it to the airport on time actually. My meeting went a bit long so I knew a stop at the bookstore wouldn’t happen but then there was an accident about 20 miles from the airport and I sat at a complete stand still for over 30 minutes and got to the airport 50 minutes late. Prior to this accident I had been shaking my head over how many maniacs there are on the roads these days. The passing lane was going about 82-84 mph (speed limit was 70) and there was so little space between cars. Post-pandemic, we have noticed this trend of insane driving. Often on our way to work, we will see cars weaving through traffic at a super high speeds, like they are playing grand theft auto or something. The accident on Friday was a single car accident that had appeared to roll multiple times and was upside down. I hope the person/people in the car were ok. It did not look good.

Back to Friday. I got to the airport at 1:40. I checked my flight to see if maybe it was delayed and it had been moved AHEAD about 15 minutes!! This is the 2nd time this happened to me - the other time was when I was delayed getting to the airport in Chicago. Of course this never happens when I’m sitting at a gate for an hour+.

Proof a flight CAN be moved earlier. 

Luckily they had Clear (super expedited security process that is worth every penny) and security was a breeze so I had time to grab something to eat. I hadn’t eaten since 7: 7:30 am so I was shaking from low blood sugar. But all’s well that ends well - they didn’t board quite as early as expected so I didn’t end up being super pressed for time. But that is NOT how I like to travel! I’m team get to the airport early because there are worse problems to have than killing time at the airport. 

But the main point of this trip was the client meeting and I feel good about how it went. I wore my usual outfit - dressed all in black like the grim reaper with a statement necklace. 

Heels would look better but I am team flats. I never know how far I will have to walk so my Rothy’s are a trusty shoe for work travel - and life in general. I was glad I was wearing Rothy’s when I had to speed walk through the rental car garage to get to security! 

The rest of the weekend was mostly business as usual: library, gymnastics and swimming. Walks outside in chilly weather. 


Runs along the lake where I enjoyed amazing Halloween decorations. This is a multi-million dollar house since it’s on the lake. I imagine there is a paid employee who puts up these decorations! I fully enjoy their work every fall!

Halloween decorating goals. Mums and skeleton and pumpkins and more!

Taco refused to nap on Sunday and then was tired and clingy at the park party for Paul’s friend that afternoon. So tired he fell asleep in my arms… which made my mom spidey sense tingle because that is not typical for my park-loving little guy. 

I did savor this moment as my kids don’t sleep in my arms anymore. Sick babies are so sad but the snuggles are a silver lining. Yes he’s wearing a hat of mine since we were short a hat and needed something warm.

I let him snooze for a bit and then we left the party. I took his temp when we got home and it was 102.8F. Le sigh. He was so miserable and went to bed at 5:15. I was thanking my lucky stars that his Covid test was negative because I don’t know how we’d handle a covid isolation period with how busy Phil and I both are at work. 

Fingers crossed everyone else in our house stays healthy. 

How was your weekend? Are you an early at the airport person? Have you observed people driving like lunatics where you live? I’m going to guess this is not a problem in Canada! 

No comments: