Sunday, November 16, 2008

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

Today I'm reviewing a book that's outside of my typical genre... But its popularity is sweeping the nation, so I just had to check it out. Plus, it's being made into a movie, which comes out next Friday so I figured I better read it before hearing about the plot line in a movie review! Let me tell you, the book did not disappoint! I breezed through its 500 pages in about 5 days! The characters and plot line are wonderful. And yes, the premise of the book is unrealistic since it involves a young girl who falls in love with a Vampire... but I was able to get past that. The book was written for a teen audience so is kept very clean and innocent, which is nice to see.

I've heard that many parents use this book to talk to their teenagers about abstinence. I wasn't sure how they could get that message out of this book, but it kind of makes sense. While the main characters, Edward & Bella, do have a chaste relationship, I think the parallel message is found in the discussion of whether Bella should become a vampire. Bella really wants to so that she can have the same lifestyle and immortality that Edward has, but Edward does not want to change the course of her life. Throughout the book they engage in debate about this decision. It might be 'reaching' a bit to come up with this message, but somehow it kind of works.

I have moved onto the next book in the series, "New Moon" which has been equally engaging thus far. I recommend checking this book, even though it means shopping in the Teen section of the bookstore!!

2 comments:

aimee said...

i have been debating on whether or not to read this series. i think i'm going to give it a try! i have heard nothing but good things about it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading this book for me!
It has received so much attention and I was wondering what it was all about!